Sony Playstation Hockey League
NEW HERE???
Please Register with your PSN account name all other accounts will be deleted.
We do not allow registers using proxy servers. Please use your own IP. Final thing, please ensure your PSN trophies are visible to confirm your account is not NEW. to do this visit here http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/12212-trophies-are-missing-hidden-or-private-trophies-how-to-fix-it/
Sony Playstation Hockey League

6v6 Hockey League

Latest topics
» Season 26 draft info and stream
Mon 16 Oct 2017, 10:41 pm by Kyngofthievez

» New Rookie Rules
Thu 05 Oct 2017, 9:00 pm by Iachoku

» Mandatory rookie camps
Wed 04 Oct 2017, 10:00 pm by Iachoku

» C/RW looking for a team (Don't mind being a regular ECU)
Wed 04 Oct 2017, 11:52 am by Dirty-Dietrich

» Season 26 mock draft
Mon 02 Oct 2017, 7:49 pm by SA_Pliskin

» Season 26 Draft
Sat 30 Sep 2017, 11:16 am by SA_Pliskin

» time before penalty for not doing stats
Sat 30 Sep 2017, 9:54 am by SA_Pliskin

» New York Islanders camp
Sat 30 Sep 2017, 1:11 am by Seedoftavares

» Philly offering a guaranteed spot on the team!!!
Fri 29 Sep 2017, 1:06 pm by Fishy

Poll
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

PistolPete7788

Most users ever online was 129 on Tue 23 Jul 2013, 9:51 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sony Playstation Hockey League » Thoughts or suggestions » Mandatory rookie camps

Mandatory rookie camps

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Mandatory rookie camps on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 4:51 pm

Iachoku

I'll never stop harping on about this.

I've never seen camps more dead. The amount of rookies who've even made accounts on these forums, nevermind publicly signed up for camps, is legit less than 10. I'm sure some of them signed up at the suggestion of people already in the league, but I know there's a bunch who are just cluelessly waiting around for someone to prompt them to do something. This league is kind of awful at properly introducing rookies to the league and vice-versa and ideally that gets addressed at some point.

2 Re: Mandatory rookie camps on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 4:28 pm

dodgesblueshells

I wonder if a specific round of the draft dedicated to rookie selections might add some incentive.

Also, a fun event could be a 6v6 rookie showcase in a best of three series ~one week before the draft, streamed live. From there teams can shortlist the players they like and invite them to their camps. Of course, this can be expanded into a larger event with increased sign ups.

Maybe an adjustment to resigns, similar to entry level deals... in that the signing of a rookie guarantees their status on your team for two seasons (unless they're traded), with a max cap hit of $0.50 in each season. If they finish their rookie year in the Top 10 in scoring, their cap hit for year two goes up to a $2.5M max salary. I think this kind of structure would really push GMs to go after the top rookies rather than simply chasing known quantities around the league. Rookies receive the advantage of genuine interest every offseason, while GMs are given the opportunity to out-scout/out-manage the opponent in a new way.

To the above, I think you combine this with making the rookie showcase a mandatory event, of sorts. This way a rookie can't remain hidden... they have to try out under the spotlight for all to see.

3 Re: Mandatory rookie camps on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 5:51 pm

Iachoku

We actually used to do a separate rookie draft and the primary reason it was abolished is because it effectively gave the worst team two 1st overall picks, since the draft order stayed the same for both, and most people were displeased with that. Basically it stacked the draft too heavily for the higher-picking teams.

And as you're surely aware, we (sometimes) do a rookie showcase as well. There's a recurring theme wherein unless I'm the one doing it, or helping to do it, it usually doesn't happen.

4 Re: Mandatory rookie camps on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 7:26 pm

dodgesblueshells

Ha... yeah, that inconsistency is troublesome then. I can see that as well re: two drafts.

In any case, I'm not sure how this gets a serious fix without major incentive to the GMs re: rookie scouting/drafting.

Re: Showcase... I guess I find the lack of competitive play in any exhibition/camp game doesn't always or even often indicate the type of player participating, hence the suggestion of a best of 3 style series, complete with showcase MVP forward, defenseman, and goaltender... something that comes with bragging rights while simultaneously curating the top rookies available.

I guess the other way to do this would be a Memorial Cup style tournament, with a short round robin and one game elimination playoffs over two nights.

5 Re: Mandatory rookie camps on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 12:26 pm

Dirty-Dietrich

A rookie showcase is a great way to introduce new players to the league, I think. I would have loved to see one done this year as I feel some rookies get lost in the shuffle during training camps.

6 Re: Mandatory rookie camps on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 10:00 pm

Iachoku

dodgesblueshells wrote:Ha... yeah, that inconsistency is troublesome then. I can see that as well re: two drafts.

In any case, I'm not sure how this gets a serious fix without major incentive to the GMs re: rookie scouting/drafting.

Re: Showcase... I guess I find the lack of competitive play in any exhibition/camp game doesn't always or even often indicate the type of player participating, hence the suggestion of a best of 3 style series, complete with showcase MVP forward, defenseman, and goaltender... something that comes with bragging rights while simultaneously curating the top rookies available.

I guess the other way to do this would be a Memorial Cup style tournament, with a short round robin and one game elimination playoffs over two nights.
I know it's something other GMs are interested in, 'cause the times I've brought it up it gets a generally positive response. The primary issue is incentivizing the rookies, which is something you can't really do for guys hiding in the bushes for someone they know is already planning to take them beforehand. Hence my suggestion to make it mandatory.

I definitely like the idea of trying to make it competitive event unto itself.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum